The Center for Iberian and Latin American Music is delighted to announce the upcoming Encuentro Cubano, the fifteenth annual installment in our Encuentros/Encounters series. Entitled Cuba: An Island of Culture, a World of Music, it will take place April 25-26, 2019. The Encuentro kicks off Thursday evening with a performance by the Cuban group Pablo Menéndez & Mezcla, a band that blends traditional Cuban music with U.S. pop. It will happen at the Culver Center of the Arts in beautiful downtown Riverside at 7:30p.m.
A daylong conference will take place on the 26th, bringing together ten leading scholars from the U.S., Spain, Cuba, and Puerto Rico, who will talk about a wide range of Cuban musics, contemporary and historical, traditional, popular, and classical. The conference will be held in INTS 1128, the Screening Room, at UCR. It begins at 9 and will go to 5, concluding with a performance by UCR’s Choral Society, directed by Edward Bruner, of the Requiem Mass by Esteban Salas y Castro (1725-1803).
Here is a list of conference speakers:
- Joaquín Borges Triana, Cuban journalist
- Mirna Y. Cabrera, Conductor and Scholar, McCook Community College, Nebraska
- Leilani Dade, University of California, Riverside
- Liliana González Moreno, Interamerican University of Puerto Rico
- Alejandro Madrid, Cornell University
- Robin Moore, University of Texas, Austin
- Belén Pérez Castillo, Universidad Complutense de Madrid
- Marysol Quevedo, University of Miami
- Susan Thomas, University of Colorado, Boulder
- Umi Vaughan, California State University, Monterey Bay
All Encuentro Cubano events are free and open to the public.